Welcome to Year 1
Teacher - Miss Buckingham
Teaching Assistant - Miss Floyd
Teacher - Mrs Poston
Teaching Assistant - Mrs Hadley
In Year 1, children build on the strong foundations and experiences they have gained during their time in EYFS. They continue to develop a strong love of reading and develop independence in reading, writing and maths. The children also benefit from a wide range of trips and visitors in school, which will inspire and engage them in learning.
- P.E. is on Wednesdays so please ensure your child has the correct P.E. kit in school
- Reading and phonics homework is given out weekly. Your child should bring their reading packet to school every day. We recommend that your child reads at home as often as possible. Please sign their Twiggler when they read to you and we do this as well.
- Spelling homework is handed out weekly and the children are tested every Thursday.
Our Curriculum is an exciting way of delivering a broad balanced curriculum that inspires children to nurture a passion for lifelong learning.
Some of our exciting topics in Year One include:
Bright Lights Big City
Paws, Claws and Whiskers
Useful links to support your child at home
- Number skills and times tables – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Mathletics – https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
- Times Tables Rock Stars – https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student
- Year 1 Common exception word mat – https://cdn.oxfordowl.co.uk/2019/08/29/13/48/38/98b01b1e-5cd2-47f6-a592-f97cebd0b777/CommonExceptionWords_Y1.pdf
- KS1 English tutorials for parents and children – https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks1-english-collection/zjsghbk
- Phonics games – https://www.phonicsbloom.com